Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Back to Kathmandu - Manaslu sum up in very short

I've just came back to Kathmandu today. Trek out via Larke Path was really good


Sophie summit Manaslu on Oct 4th 2011
WITHOUT Oxygen



Quick Manaslu climb sum up:


Approach: Sept 16th, after 8 days trek, I've finally made it to Base Camp. I have trek in with the donkey drivers. We had lots of work to make the way safe for the donkeys : building bridge, path, help the donkeys crossing rivers .... it was quite of an experience
Arrive at Base Camp on Sept. 24th.
First Carry: On Sept. 25th, I did a first carry to Camp 1. I carried about 15kg, and I was feeling very good. At that time, I knew that I could keep going and go up to 7000m with an heavy load. I did not sleep at Camp1 (5700m). I just went up to Camp 1 and drop a first load of gear, and went down to Base Camp (4700m)
Waiting for window: Sept. 26th and Sept 27th, it snowed a lot. Everyone went down the mountain as there was lots of avalanches between Camp 1 and Camp 2 and above in some sections.


Summit Push:
Sept 28th : Climb and sleep at Camp 1 (5700m) - load 15 kg
Sept 29th : Climb and sleep at Camp 2 (6400m) - load 30kg
Sept 30th : Climb and sleep at Camp 3 (6800m) - left behind me at Camp 2 half of the load - carry only 15kg up to Camp 3
Oct 1st : Go down to Camp 2 to pick up the remaining of my gear that I left the day before, then climb back up to Camp 3. Sleep at Camp 3
Oct 2nd : Sleep at Camp3 - wait for good weather
Oct 3rd : Climb and sleep at Camp 4 (7450m)
Oct 4th : Summit without O2 (As usual, I did carry a O2 bottle with me up to 8000m just in case, but I was feeling really good, and I did not use it. I start late, at 7am. So I did not carry my stove and pot :-). After summit, I went down to Camp 4 and sleep at Camp 4
Oct 5th : Went down to Base Camp
Oct 6th : Packing my bags at Base Camp
Oct 7th : Went down to Samogon, and start my trek out via Lake Pass

Sophie on the trek out : Manaslu Circuit Larke Pass
Pictures, Videos, .... more coming later ....

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sophie,

    You look great in the photos! Manaslu must have really agreed with you. You must feel so proud for having climbed Manaslu unsupported and without oxygen. This is quite an accomplishment! Congratulations on your grand slam (four 8,000 meter peaks in one year), this puts you in very select company. Will you be coming back to NYC any time soon? Would really like to meet you.

    Best Wishes,
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Following you and proud of you. Keep safe.

    Ifat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did NOT used sherpa but I used the fixed ropes (so it was supported .... )
    I will be in NYC early November after a quick stop by Paris. Thank you for your support :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sophie,

    Still an incredible accomplishment. You are living a dream. Have a safe flight back home and a nice visit with family. A well earned rest!

    All the best,
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo Sophie ! Je suis très contente. Gros bisous. Maman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Do you know Billi Bierling, my flatmate? I guess you met her on Manaslu this season. Your 2011 schedule looked phenomenal - perhaps you need to update it now... what next?

    ReplyDelete